It is nice to have a spotless house, but it’s really hard to find the time it takes to clean thoroughly. Luckily, there are a few tips and tricks that can make your spring cleaning much more effective and less time consuming:
- Clean your window tracks: Dip a q-tip in white vinegar and run it along the tracks. You might need several q-tips depending on how much dirt is on the tracks. When you’re done, dip a paper towel and make sure all the dirt is off the tracks and the window sill. The vinegar will dry without streaks, so there is no need to rinse.
- Keeping your baseboards clean can be hard, especially if you have pets. By cleaning them with dryer sheets you will not only clean but also repel dust and pet hair, since it coats as it cleans. You can do it with your hands or simply attach the dryer sheet to a mop and run it along the baseboards.
- To remove stubborn carpet stains, simply mix 1 part Dawn dish washing soap and 2 parts hydrogen peroxide. Pour the mix directly on the spots, let it sit for one minute (yes, it only takes one minute!) and then wipe it off with a wet towel.
- Throw a Magic Eraser sponge in the toilet bowl and let it float overnight – it will remove any toilet ring without scrubbing. After the cleaning is complete, remove the sponge and throw it in the trash. DO NOT flush the Magic Eraser sponge.
- Fill a dish-wand with ½ white vinegar and ½ dish washing detergent and keep it in the shower. The next time you have a few extra minutes after you shower, go over the walls with the wand and rinse. To remove hard water stains from the faucet, simply rub a lemon cut in half on it.
- Tired of dirty, sticky stove burners? Place them in a sealed freezer bag with ¼ cup of ammonia and let it sit overnight, then wipe clean with a damp sponge.
- To clean fan blades, toss a pillowcase over the blade then slowly pull it off. The dust from the blade will stay trapped inside the pillowcase.
- Pour equal parts of vinegar and water into a bowl and heat it in the microwave – a minute is enough for one cup of the mix. Keep the microwave closed for a few minutes so the steam can loosen the grime and then wipe the dirt off with a damp cloth. Dip an old sock in the mix and then slip it on your hand to clean your blinds.
Spring cleaning is necessary, so why not make it more enjoyable? You can play some of your favorite tunes while you work and also ask a friend or relative to help you in exchange for your help with their cleaning as well. Don’t forget to reward yourself by kicking your feet up in the air and enjoying a good movie or glass of wine (or both!) in your clean and fresh home.